Monday, July 03, 2006

Father Time 1, Mike 0

I'm old. And getting older.

I played my last vball game of this short season I was in (10 games) tonight and i was awful...I was much better a few weeks back and my fundamentals just keep going to hell the more I play. I didn't have another league lined up anyway but now I am contemplating retirement to just friends/picnic volleyball or taking up climbing or roller hockey again. And I was a sub in a low-power A a few months ago and then I've been playing a B league now...I feel SO C-league tonight. I made bad play after bad play, and I'm hard on myself yes, but no one else was as consistently bad tonight as me. Just poor fundamentals.

I just hate the fact that when you're in your late 20s you are still in pretty good shape and can leap and really slam a ball in a sport like racquetball, volleyball, tennis, basketball, etc...and then you see all these 40 year old guys and they rely on position and taking safe hits and playing 'smart' because they aren't as spry as they used to be. Somewhere in between, you change from the 25 year old to the 40 year old guy...the one with the headband and the knee-brace, you know who I'm talking about. And for some reason tonight it feels like that point is age 34...

Another example I played pickup softball for a friend's league a few weeks ago (on short notice as I came by to say hi and got conscripted..wearing jeans). And guess what...I can't field for crap. And I can throw the ball quite far still..but nowhere near the cutoff-man or the base. Hitting was okay...but not great. And sure, I haven't played softball in years, but I'm in shape. I've been playing something for the last few years. Damn i hate getting old. Oh and i mildly tweaked my ankle tonight, that also doesn't feel good. Someone got under me at the net and i rolled it slightly...hate that.

Feeling decidely unathletic now that my best skills may soon be fooseball and poker. Ouch. That is so lame. I admit to liking about any physical activity, but it's nice not to completely suck at it. I still feel like I could go play defensive back in a tackle football game with friends tomorrow...or a game of ultimate, or softball, or bike 15 miles at the drop of a hat, or take up climbing and show an aptitude for it that I've had since I was 3, block a good vball hitter, play a mean game of racquetball, beat you at a 100meter freestyle, be competitive at a 50meter butterfly, play a pretty good game of ping pong, or do a decent job in a game of lacrosse or roller hockey. (Note: I make no claims about my basketball skill, or soccer... I had limitations there long long ago). However, my evidence shows differently. I'm slipping. I'm becoming 40 year old guy who doesn't realize his best days are behind him. Yes I can really tee up a slap shot once in a great while, and I can make a nice pass or wrister as well with a puck. And I can block a good hitter every once in a while, and I have a good volleyball serve sometimes...but none of it is consistent anymore.

I probably just need to find another league and practice some more. At least I know and can admit that my skills have gone to hell now. And knowing is half the battle. Btw, if you want to help my ego, please come by and foose with me. That or remind me if you're older than me...I like that. :)

I am going to go ice my ankle, and/or salve my wounded pride. Perhaps I can win some cash Thursday at poker...that would help much. Will let you know.

Thanks to Amanda for reading my blog! She's a sweetie and unlike the rest of you lurkers, she said hi to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home