Saturday, September 23, 2006

Got Shades?

This is pretty funny... I think I did occasionally read pvponline a while back when I played EQ, and so I followed the link on Mypetrock's page. I have to agree with the author that classic Ray Ban Aviators are well, classic. I think I have some of mine from circa 1990 laying around still. Now it's true that none of us look as cool as Sting in them... case in point--



but hey, that is the best band of all time, so I can live with that.

So, on the subject of Shades--I love my new shades. I had a semi-cheapie pair ($40 is a semi-cheapie pair in my opinion) from Eddie Bauer the last few years that I really liked, but I had the same old problem I've had my whole life with sunglasses. I don't wear my contacts most of the time, and choosing to have my "real" glasses on so I can see, or my shades so I can tone down the sunlight and look cool at the same time--well, that's not much of a choice. Particularly when I'm driving. You people with good vision just don't know how good you have it.

For the record, I have about 20/40 vision now, with a moderate astigmatism. I've worn glasses since I was in 4th grade, and with my ego I always kinda' considered that a tragedy. I look much cuter without the glasses! (oh so vain...but hey, no one reads my blog, so I can say what I want here.) Now, in junior high and high school I wore my contacts most of the time and yes it did help with the ladies. And you thought 'four-eyes' ostracism in school-kid culture was a myth didn't you? Nope, that stuff really happens. Luckily, most people grow out of such shallow judgments by the time they're 21. Anyway, to get back to the point -- I had worse vision until I was in my late 20s and then it got better, as unbelievable as that might sound to you if you don't know much about eyes. You probably know our eyesight can shift over time, but going from near-sighted to almost-far sighted is a bit of a weird pattern. One of my eyes is close to far-sighted now, if you don't factor in the astigmatism. What that means is I can basically drive fine during the day except that I have to get to within 100 feet of a road sign to read it, whereas you can see it from 200 feet. Not a major deal if your major concern while driving is 'Do not hit things!' instead of 'hey, what's that guy's license plate number?'

I digress, as usual. Point is, I had to get some new spectacles a few months ago, and with the 'buy one get one' deals that places run now, I treated myself to some nice prescription Oakley Teaspoons.

I almost went with some more conservative black wire-frames, but I figured I'd live a little, and like I said, I was an ugly duckling for way too many years, so I'm not shy anymore. And I love these shades! I would have preferred to get LASIK, yes, and ditch the whole need for prescription lenses, but oh well, that wasn't in the cards. The story on that: I was set to get it last year and sadly, one of the reasons my vision changed in my late 20s was my developing mild keratoconus, which affects about 1 in every 2000 people. Therefore, not a candidate for Lasik. Oh well, while it still annoys me that I can't just fix my eyes like most people with glasses can, the experience did scare me a bit by revealing that I could be much worse off. I'm pretty relieved that my KC is mild enough that it's correctable, and in the same line of thinking...there are a ton of worse things you can be diagnosed with. So as a result, I finally got around to getting some prescription shades, which I like very much. I still don't look as cool as Maverick though.

Do you wear shades? What's your look? Cheap-but-functional, or stylish and pricey? Over the top, trendy or high fashion? If you wear glasses normally and haven't ever gotten some Rx ones, try em out. Not cheap, so don't lose em, but I can tell you it is NICE to have the option when you want 'em.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Before I got contacts, I used to wear glasses with the attached sunglasses. Until I decided I liked the no bottom rimmed glasses, then I got a pair of Guess Rx sunglasses. Followed by a pair of Maui Jim's. I'm unfortunately hooked on my Maui Jim's which I lost my Rx and then decided on contacts and bought a pair of Maui Jim's again anyway. (Pretty expensive sunglasses, but I love 'em).

By the way, when you think no one's reading, I'm there. :)

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home