Thursday, September 21, 2006

web searches, Google, pageviews and musing

I was surfing around tonight...from the CNN list of top US billionaires, to the Wiki pages of Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page (both 33 and worth way more cash than you and I will ever be) and such. It's fascinating to read about entrepreneurs that have grabbed the world by the tail...you wonder if you had really applied yourself and studied the right area of computer science back in the 90s when the web was new... could that be you? Similarly, I've enjoyed reading the bios on guys like Jobs, Gates, Ellison, Wozniak... and even Mark Cuban over the years. I guess as I get older I am realizing I may never leave a huge mark on the human race like I once hoped, but I'm happy with my modest successes at life for now, and I'm not half done yet, so who knows.

Anyway, I read up on PageRank and that's one of those things like the explanation of gravity or newton's laws...you read it *now* and say 'well duh, that makes sense', but obviously figuring it out first takes the whole apple, research and patents process. Cool for them...I hated the way search engines behaved back in 1997 too. There are some bad ones now, but thumbs up for anyone who works on making them more intelligent.

Anyway, those pages are fascinating... there's some interesting stuff like the initial paper on the search engine Google here and some other good stuff. Then I was intrigued a bit more thinking of what a crap product by comparison something like Myspace is (ha, no hyperlink for them, editor's license), and in googling that, I found this interesting article stating how pageviews are obsolete. That's a pretty cool read.

Good moments of the day: driving to work, an interesting pair of meetings at work, driving home, hugging my wife when she got home, carrying my son up to bed after he fell asleep. Spoke to my aunt and uncle, who are really cool people. Pondering career future at work and not feeling too much pressure, just take it a day at a time. Went to store late with Cam so Dar could enjoy her Grey's Anatomy fix. Stood outside briefly and enjoyed a strong pre-storm wind on a cloudy moonlit night. Watched LOST episode S02E11.

Crummy moments: it was a good day, no real complaints. Poker was cancelled though. Boo. Cards blew a meaningless game, possibly hurting Carpenter's Cy Young chances. Not enough time with Dar. Insomnia returns this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home