Thursday, October 19, 2006

h@x0rd!

So I was at the store today and they declined my card! What!? I swiped again..no luck. Used my other card, came home and called. Hold for 15 min or so..and then I answer a bunch of authentication questions..yes yes..blah blah..yes yes.
Then I get a list of charges... $14.01 at business type 'grocery' ? Check..that's the one that didn't work just a while ago. $69.80 at Pizza and Wings? Huh? Another $69.80 at Pizza and Wings? Another $69.80...

Hacked--omg! Luckily the total stopped there and I wasn't forced to wonder how many times you could charge pizza in a night before the restaurant realizes you don't look like you belong on that show Entourage. It seems it was 3, and either this guy had stolen my stripe code, bought it from some resell business, or cloned it, etc...
Oh well, no harm done. There were no other fraudulent charges, and my new card is on the way in 5-7 business days. And hopefully the doofus who stole my card # has his door beat down on Cops! soon and I get to see it.

Oh well, it could have been far worse. My limit would have let them buy a bit more than some pizzas, assuming the merchant didn't check the signature, etc etc.

Thumbs up to MBNA (That's Bank of America now) and their handling of this. Good work guys.

1 Comments:

Blogger k957 said...

checking signatures? I "retired" a card that I never actually signed. I only got asked for ID a handful of times (under 10) in about 3 years.

Merchants might care... the folks at the register don't.

but, good to hear your credit card company came through.

ever figure out how it happened.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home