Monday, October 09, 2006

on blogs, mice and men

So if you're reading this, I think we can both agree that blogs can be interesting. I really enjoy reading those of my friends to see what they're up to. By the same measure, for some strange reason I like posting on here to let you know what I'm up to...even if half of the posts come down to just whinging about life. Hey, most places in the world you would have to pay some stranger $5 to hear your bad-beat poker story! So the point is...blogs, can be good. There are probably a fair number of horrid ones as well. Either they lack content or they have no point, or perhaps the author is just a hack writer. Perhaps they are just adventures in narcissism. And I'm not suggesting that I'm Chaucer here, but I try to hold your interest while at the same time keeping it pretty brief-- a bit of the Seinfeld concept.

Now to take the lameness to a whole new level...go look on youtube for vblogs. I was randomly tooling around in youtube tonight, since they have entered into their 'we get rich and you get to see if this concept really has legs' agreement with Google. There seems to be a small community that spends their time posting vblog responses to each other, i.e. 're: dudeman's response to lonelygirl15's response to...' bleh bleh bleh. And they're not even LOW-quality video--they are terrible. Come ON people. If you want to regulary toss out your opinion on things in a video media format, i.e. you think you are an underground Stephen Colbert, then at least produce the thing well, and have a point. Never mind. Comparing 99.8% of this video drivel to commentary by our established media, whether it's Jon Stewart or George Will, is much like pointing out that you could live on the hot dogs from 7-11. Technically it's food, but not really. Vblogs--same thing. Technically it's a medium, but for much of what's out there... drivel is being too nice.

Okay, now I'm ranting about other people who produce craptastic cyberspace flotsam, aren't I? Yes, they are kicking up the equivalent of cyberdust and leaving it out there in our internet cosmos (the one that Al Gore sacrificed so much for to bring to us) and unwitting surfers may just waste 15 minutes watching this junk. I weep for the future.

And you thought that we Children of the 80s - Gen X - Star Wars Geek - Brat Packers were a bunch of ritalin-popping zoomed-out weebies who grew up watching too much junk TV? Let me assure you, our kids are going to grow up to have the attention span of a clapping cymbal monkey.



Random Cameron commentary as he just walked in here: "you got nothing! The Blues are bad!" Thanks Cam...I know we don't have a win yet, but hey, they're a lot better than last year. Note to John Davidson: My 3 year old thinks the team needs work. Maybe you should have signed a #1 center?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home